I believe XChatAqua, and *maybe* LimeChat can both do this with Growl.  I know
XChatAqua can for sure, I use LimeChat and do find it quite accessible, but I
do have to VO to the Chat window, which by the way says Html Content, to read
channel text.
On Jul 4, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:

> OK, so I'm incredibly new to this whole ordeal, so please have major mercy on
> me.
>
> I use Adium almost religiously.  Yeah, it's sad, I know, I have no life. LOL!
>  Anyway, I saw a place to add I R C servers.  The problem is a few things...
>
> 1.  Once I get the server added, usually, I get no IM window or anything with
> a nickserv bot or the like. I think maybe only one server gave this to me.
>
> 2.  If a window does! pop up with the chat server, that's all great, but as
> soonas I hit command+W and close its window, boom! that's it, it's gone.  I
> can't even find a way in my contacts list table to get it back up and use the
> server again.  the only thing I see to do is command+Q to quit Adium
> altogether, then relaunch it from my dock, which is downright annoying as all
> Ghetto.  I figure, there's got! to be an easier way, something I'm missing
> here!  There's just gotta be!  It seems really stupid that AdiumX wouldn't a
> thought a that.
>
> 3.  If! I get a nickserv bot to auto message me when I connect, ok, that's
> all great, but then how do I get a list of channels in that server, and
> connect to one of 'em?  does that depend on the server?
>
> finally, and most importantly, aside Adium, is there a better app I could do
> myself a big favor by using instead of Adium for this?  Preferably something
> that'll read chats automatically with no voing around?  Yup? I sure do have
> Growl installed, so that's no? problem at all.  I gotcha covered.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Chris.

Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)
Pete Nalda
http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda
http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda