Well, I am pushing my luck here, but, I have 3 backups of my system.

Unfortunately, with Lion, Apple doesn't let you delete the iTunes.app file.
However, since I do have 3 backups, i decided to take a chance.

I booted up from 1 of my external backups and then deleted the iTunes.app file
and the only other file I deleted was the library file called
"iTunes Library.Itl

yes, I am sure there are good reasons to delete the preference files as well,
but, I wanted to see if I could get away without doing it.

Next, I installed iTunes 10.3.1 and rebuilt the library.  So far, all appears
to be well.

if there's a problem, I will be able to delete the library and preference files
if necessary.

Wow, iTunes is back to working normally again.  I had forgotten just how much
faster it was before.

So, if you have a clone or 2 of your existing setup, I urge you to give it a
try.