The following was just posted to the Candle Shore BLOG:

How To View Only Upcoming or Active Appointments In Mac OS X Lion's Calendar
Application

Hello Everyone,

One of my favorite features in Microsoft Outlook is the ability to view only
upcoming (active) appointments in the calendar.

Apparently, Apple does not think I need this feature in the latest version
of iCal.  (grimace)

While there are certainly some very fine third-party applications that will
allow me to see only upcoming appointments, I am of the opinion that less is
better; therefore, I resist installing such applications unless absolutely
necessary.  Besides, there is no guaranty that said third-party
applications, for which I may have to pay a premium, will be VoiceOver
(Apple's software screen reading solution for the blind and low vision)
accessible.

Enter the Mac OS X Lion Dashboard of which I am growing quite fond, and all
its marvelous, and for the most part free, widgets.

It is with such a widget that we can view only upcoming or active
appointments.

Oh, keep in mind that iCal refers to appointments as events.

Let's get started.

1.

 <http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18085/ical-events> Download and install a
free Mac OS Dashboard widget called iCal Events.  Its description is as
follows:

iCal Events... Face the day! Always know what's next on your schedule using
iCal Events. iCal Events displays upcoming events from multiple iCal
calendars in a beautiful, resizable widget for Dashboard. You can see up to
two weeks of upcoming events in the same widget without needing to open
iCal.

2.

After installing the widget, I suggest that you close the web browser used
to download the widget.

3.

Now go to the Dashboard and see the widget in action.  I suggest using the
key combination [Option+LeftArrow] to quickly jump to the Dashboard.  Please
note that you can change the number of days shown in the widget by clicking
on the Info button.

Enjoy,

Mark