Should also note that OSX won't prevent you from putting in any file you want in the Appllications folder. While it might not make sense to drop a PDF or whatever in there, you can do it.

Not sure why copy paste was not working for you. I opened the applications folder with Command-shift-a. If you have some kind of tree view going on it might not know where you want the file to go unless you navigate the tree the way you want it. So maybe you were trying to paste in the wrong spot? Normally I find the app (if it's not the kind that has an installer), copy it, apple-shift-a, then paste.

CB