Hello Tammy.
I hope the following statements don't give too much unneeded information and
cause confusion. I know you just asked about braille translation. However, I,
as a professional braille proofreader who needs a lot of braille on her
computer, would like to share some observations which I hope will be helpful to
your friend. These are things which I didn't know about the Mac before I got
mine, and it took some getting used to.

There is a significant difference that a I am finding in doing braille on the
Mac from Windows. It never occurred to me that  translator would work like
VoiceOver does. I've never had one that did work like this.

Let me see if I can explain what I'm talking about. Does your friend have a
braille display with braille input keys? If so, he may want to try out his
braille display for a while to get used to the fact that translation is not
delayed in VoiceOver until a space or carriage return is pressed. This means
that inputting in uncontracted braille is different with VoiceOver than it is
with Jaws. At first, I had trouble on my Focus 40 inputting so that I didn't
make a lot of mistakes. If I typed a letter and then stopped to think about
what I was doing for too long in the wrong location, it got translated.
Sometimes this gave me the wrong word. As a short example, if i typed the
letter b, then stopped before going on, I got the word but. The letter b is
short for the word but in braille.

I had to learn when to stop so this didn't happen as often. I still am having
some trouble with this, although I am getting better.

I did not have a friend like yourself that had a Mac,  so I was unable to
practice with it beforehand. When I decided to switch I had to just get my own
computer, after doing the most research I could on my questions. This braille
input thing came as a surprise. Maybe you could help your friend set up
portable preferences for VoiceOver on your computer so he could try these
things out, with the help of us here on this list, of course.

Regards,
Gigi