oh I didn't know about the update for the apple TV . If you already have a
iphone or Ipod with IOS 4.3 or later than you can use the airplay feature on
the apple TV. just have the TV on and on your IOS device turn airplay on to
stream music from your device to your TV. It works great with music from any
source on your IOS device either your Itunes music , pandora , spotify etc you
can play it using the apple TV The most recent update also allows something
called airplay mirroring which when turned on streams your whole display on
your IOS device on to your TV with the apple TV. Esentually making your apple
TV connected
 a larger version of your IOS device. On Mar 4, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Traci wrote:

> Hey, thanks for the good info.
>
> Well, in the last few days, we've been calling local stores for the apple tv
> 2nd gen, but everyone is out of stock.  Doing some googling, rumor is there
> is going to be an apple tv refresh next week along side the iPad 3rd gen.
>
> I'm interested in the apple tv for Netflix and youTube, but I'd love a way to
> play our music.
>
> Our Klipsch iPhone/iPod dock died recently, and I'm missing music in the
> living room.  I had it in my head, instead of spending $100-$200 on a new
> mini radio/dock, maybe I could somehow stream music via the tv.
>
> We have one of those Vizio tv's that can access Netflix, youTube, Pandora,
> and more, but of course, it is not blind friendly.  :)
>
> Traci
> Sent by Macbook Air Mail
>
> On Mar 4, 2012, at 11:15 AM, jason lefevers wrote:
>
>> Hey  tracy , the only way to play music on your apple TV with no other
>> devices running is to turn on Itunes match , however I believe this is a
>> paid service which allows you to store your music in a cloud and access it
>> from any device. you can access your Itunes music and movies on your
>> computer using home sharing but this requires your computer to be running
>> and on the same network . You don't have to be at the computer it just has
>> to be on and Itunes has to be running and from your apple TV just go into
>> the home sharing menue  and access your music that way. If your just looking
>> to play music I have a few better options if you have a Iphone or Ipod
>> touch. Also what new apple TV are you refering to? I have the 2nd gen the
>> thing I heard was apple is going to release a actual TV set sometime this
>> year and I don't know what all it will do. It will be apples version of a
>> smarty TV. I don't know any good podcasts other than the ones listed
>> already. let me know if you want to know more about the apple TV I am happy
>> to help. Jason  On Mar 4, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Traci wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I need something explained to me.  I'm considering an Apple TV, when the
>>> new one is released.  Is there a way to listen to my iTunes library via
>>> apple tv and my tv speakers, with no other device on?
>>>
>>> This is the part I'm not fully getting.  :)  I don't want to have my Mac on
>>> to access my library.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Traci