Hi,

you aren't doing something wrong. Drag and Drop by using VO + comma and period
doesn't work reliably because the source and target window should be visible on
screen. As a blind user you can't know wether it is visible. So either you use
drag and drop manually as it was necessary in Snow Leopard or you must be lucky
and both windows are visible on screen.

In my opinion Air Drop should work by using copy and paste on the keyboard.
Let's send an e-mail to
accessibil...@apple.com
and ask for this feature in a next version of VoiceOver.

All the best
Jürgen