Okay, continuing.
First, I did double-check my settings in the navis indeesection of the VoiceOver utility and it is indeed set to keyboard focus. Here's what happens when I open a file in Text edit. First I open the application. I'm beginning to think I should just go in through the documents folder. Anyway, I hit command-O. The first thing I hear is, plain text encoding. I then move with Vo-right-arrow and hear, forward. Then I reach a series of radio buttons, of which list view is the selected one. Then I reach arrange, menu button. Then I reach a popup button which used to say documents. But last time I was in, it changed to downloads. I pressed vo-space on this button and found my user folder as a choice but not documents. So I selected that. Continuing to move right, I pass search and a side bar table and eventually find the list view table, which does seem to contain my documents. Eventually I find my practice document and enter on it. So, I tried adding some text to it and then closing the document with Command-W. It just saved with no possibility of choosing a don't save option. So it looks like only with a new or untitled document do I get that option when using Command-W. Boy, it just seems like I'll fill up my drive with a zillion versions of my file. I then managed to sort of stop interacting with my text and use vo-left-arrow to work my way back to a versions button. I find a browse all versions button but can't figure out how to get to those versions. Hmmm, truly puzzled.
Thanks so much.

Veronica

Watch and hear The Guide Dog Glee Club sing The Star-spangled Banner at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNLclisGqQ
Then learn about Music CDs that will impact and entertain you forever!
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
                Veronica Elsea, Owner
Laurel Creek Music Designs
Santa Cruz, California