Hello Rahul:
The only time I ever problems reading a brf file in TextEdit was when I
discovered that VoiceOver didn't recognize key inputs from my Focus 40. I
discovered this by accident. I went into VO setttings, went under braille,
under displays, and there discovered that the option for accepting key inputs
from the primary braille display was off. When I turned it on, I had no more
trouble moving the braille.

It never occurred to me to read a brf file in Safari. I'm going to try it in
the hopes that I won't see control characters in Safari. In my case that's more
efficient since I'm doing braille proofreading. Thanks for the tip, guys about
reading these files in Safari, although I guess I have a question of my own,
now that I think about it. When you do reading of brf files in Safari, are you
guys talking about reading BARD files? If so, reading Safari won't help me
because I get brf files by email from transcribing agencies.

Regards,
Gigi

Eugenia Firth
gigifi...@sbcglobal.net

On Apr 8, 2012, at 11:44 PM, Rahul Bajaj wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for sharing this piece of information.
> I was looking for something like this only.
> Can you suggest some ways of improving the reading experience while
> reading books in PDF format?
> How can I go to the previous or next page in a PDF file?
>
> On 09/04/2012, Kawal Gucukoglu <kawa...@me.com> wrote:
>> I have always read PDF documents in text edit without any problem just in
>> case someone wishes not to open safari.
>>
>> Kawal.
>>
>> On 8 Apr 2012, at 10:47 PM, Kirsten Edmondson
>> <kirsten.edmond...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> A few weeks ago, someone asked what was the best way of reading PDFs. I
>>> gave some vague response, and though I can't remember who asked, I know it
>>> comes up quite often, so, below I list more specific steps. I hope they
>>> help whoever wanted to know.
>>> 1. Find your document in your folder system.
>>> 2. Press VO-M and navigate to the File menu.
>>> 3. Go down to the Open With menu.
>>> 4. Arrow right and then down to Safari.
>>> 5. Leave the document to open-this might take some time if it is large for
>>> example-when it starts reading, arrow until you are in the window (rather
>>> than in the other web functions such as add to reading list etc).
>>> 6. Interact with the window with the VO-Down Arrow-Shift command.
>>> 7. If you want to read line by line, try to get your reading setting to
>>> 'navigation', otherwise when you use the down arrow, you will be reading
>>> via character or word.
>>> 8. Use the arrows to read up and down each line.
>>> 9. Close or quit when you are finished.