Hi Scott,

This article is particularly android focussed but it's a great jumping off
point for being in the right frame of mind when designing applications.  Maybe
it will be some use.
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/04/accessibility-are-you-serving-all-your.html

Accessibility: Are You Serving All Your Users?
Posted by Tim Bray on 10 April 2012 at 10:35 AM

[This post is by Joe Fernandez, a technical writer for
developer.android.com who cares about accessibility and usability. —
Tim Bray.]

We recently published some new resources to help developers make their
Android applications more accessible:

   Accessibility Developer Guide

   Implementing Accessibility Training

“But,” you may be thinking, “What is accessibility, exactly? Why
should I make it a priority? How do I do it? And most importantly, how
do I spell it?” All good questions. Let’s hit some of the key points.

Accessibility is about making sure that Android users who have limited
vision or other physical impairments can use your application just as
well as all those folks in line at the supermarket checking email on
their phones. It’s also about the Mom over in the produce section
whose kids are driving her to distraction, and really needs to see
that critical notification your application is trying to deliver. It’s
also about you, in the future; Is your eyesight getting better over
time? How about that hand-eye coordination?

When it comes down to it, making an application accessible is about
having a deep commitment to usability, getting the details right and
delighting your users. It also means stepping into new territory and
getting a different perspective on your application. Try it out: Open
up an application you developed (or your all-time favorite app), then
close your eyes and try to complete a task. No peeking! A little
challenging, right?
How Android Enables Accessibility

One of main ways that Android enables accessibility is by allowing
users to hear spoken feedback that announces the content of user
interface components as they interact with applications. This spoken
feedback is provided by an accessibility service called TalkBack,
which is available for free on Google Play and has become a standard
component of recent Android releases.

Now enable TalkBack, and try that eyes-closed experiment again. Being
able to hear your application’s interface probably makes this
experiment a little easier, but it’s still challenging. This type of
interaction is how many folks with limited vision use their Android
devices every day. The spoken feedback works because all the user
interface components provided by the Android framework are built so
they can provide descriptions of themselves to accessibility services
like TalkBack.

Another key element of accessibility on Android devices is the ability
to use alternative navigation. Many users prefer directional
controllers such as D-pads, trackballs or keyboard arrows because it
allows them to make discrete, predictable movements through a user
interface. You can try out directional control with your apps using
the virtual keyboard in the Android emulator or by installing and
enabling the Eyes-Free Keyboard on your device. Android enables this
type of navigation by default, but you, as a developer, may need to
take a few steps to make sure users can effectively navigate your app
this way.
How to Make Your Application Accessible

It would be great to be able to give you a standard recipe for
accessibility, but the truth of the matter is that the right answer
depends on the design and functionality of your application. Here are
some key steps for ensuring that your application is accessible:

   Task flows: Design well-defined, clear task flows with minimal
navigation steps, especially for major user tasks, and make sure those
tasks are navigable via focus controls (see item 4).

   Action target size: Make sure buttons and selectable areas are of
sufficient size for users to easily touch them, especially for
critical actions. How big? We recommend that touch targets be 48dp
(roughly 9mm) or larger.

   Label user interface controls: Label user interface components
that do not have visible text, especially ImageButton, ImageView, and
EditText components. Use the android:contentDescription XML layout
attribute or setContentDescription() to provide this information for
accessibility services.

   Enable focus-based navigation: Make sure users can navigate your
screen layouts using hardware-based or software directional controls
(D-pads, trackballs and keyboards). In a few cases, you may need to
make UI components focusable or change the focus order to be more
logical.

   Use framework-provided controls: Use Android's built-in user
interface controls whenever possible, as these components provide
accessibility support by default.

   Custom view controls: If you build custom interface controls for
your application, implement accessibility interfaces for your custom
views and provide text labels for the controls.

   Test: Checking off the items on this list doesn’t guarantee your
app is accessible. Test accessibility by attempting to navigate your
application using directional controls, and also try eyes free
navigation with the TalkBack service enabled.

Here’s an example of implementing some basic accessibility features
for an ImageButton inside an XML layout:

<ImageButton
   android:id="@+id/add_note_button"
   android:src="@drawable/add_note_image"
   android:contentDescription="@string/add_note_description"/>

Notice that we’ve added a content description that accessibility
services can use to provide an audible explanation of the button.
Users can navigate to this button and activate it with directional
controls, because ImageButton objects are focusable by default (so you
don’t have to include the android:focusable="true" attribute).

The good news is that, in most cases, implementing accessibility isn’t
about radically restructuring your application, but rather working
through the subtle details of accessibility. Making sure your
application is accessible is an opportunity to look at your app from a
different perspective, improve the overall quality of your app and
ensure that all your users have a great experience.
Erik Burggraaf
Ebony Consulting toll-free: 1-888-255-5194
or on the web at http://www.erik-burggraaf.com