Because many of the educational platforms used by schools and apps out there
are not VoiceOver accessible. I was initially ecstatic at the push for the
iPad, rather than something like the Kindle being used in classrooms. But my
daughter, who has an iPhone, has been stymied more than a few times by
educational apps which are not VoiceOver accessible. Apple could certainly
require that all educational apps be made VoiceOver accessible before they can
be placed in the app store. (I have heard, though secondhand, that some
demonstrations of the iPad have included Apple-designed educational apps which
are graphically rich but not accessible. I have been trying to get more
information on this.)

Christine