Hi Allison,
I have been reasonably successful using tintin in terminal.  I had to play with
the VO cursor settings some but here is the configuration I like and have saved
as an activity.:
Keyboard follows VO cursor: Yes
VO follows keyboard cursor: No
Insertion point follows VO cursor: Yes
VO follows insertion point: no

Basically, I can't find a way to keep VO from interrupting itself when new info
hits the screen, but setting up your cursors this way means that you will not
lose your place even though new text has been added below the point where your
cursor is.

Tintin also has a nice scripting ability built in.  I have found it helpful to
gag blank lines, effectively cutting down on the number of times VO might need
to interrupt itself when a new line comes in.  The way to gag a blank line in
Tintin is:
#gag {^$}

I have also gagged all kinds of other unnecessary spam and am working on ways
to display critical info that are spoken faster.

These approaches have made mudding viable for me on the mac, even if it is not
quite what things were on the windows side.

HTH

Greg