From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Erkens
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:18 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: something to share: air print activator

Hi listers,

I'm glad I can share something back, now that I received so much good help
over time from this list.

You can print from your iphone. I think you will have seen this already. You
sometimes find an action button, for example while viewing a document from
within mail etc, and then you have the print button. However, this does not
work with normal printers, except with eleven or so dedicated models,
because of an Apple restriction.

Well, no more. Yesterday I printed off several documents from my phone, to a
normal, non supported airprint printer. And it works like a charm. What you
need is an iphone, a mac, and a printer attached to the mac. As long as you
share the printer on your mac, the iphone can see it if you want.

There's a program for Lion and sn, called airprint activator. Just google
it. If you happen to find airprint hactivator, so with an h at the start,
then that is the older version and there is a newer one out there, without
the h, called airprint activator, with an ay, as in alpha, at the start.
This little utility is free, and it does not want to alter system files in
any way, so installing it won't ask your admin password on the mac. It only
adds one or 2 lines to some config file, I forgot where that is, but it is
documented if you're curious.

Once you find airprint activator on google, download it. You will then have
a dmg. You don't need to copy stuff out of there. Just open the dmg, set it
to list mode if yu want, and then run the airprint activator installer app.
Then close your disk image, and eject it from your desktop.

>From now on, you will have a new item inside system preferences for
airprinting. What I did not do right the first time, was enable AirPrint
activation. It's 2 labels with a toggle button in between. From what follows
later on the screen, you can see if this switch is then on or off. Once you
turn the switch to on, it works. If you have not already done so, share your
printer. It will then appear in a grayed out table inside the preference
pane for airprint activator, so you know which printer is being advertised
on your local lan wifi. The table of advertised printers is gray because the
utility itself decides if you have your printer shared correctly. If so, it
appears in the table. If not, then sharing is the problem. So you cannot add
or delete printers from the airprin utility yourself.

Now to print from your phone, leave your mac running and have your printer
turned on. From the phone, find a print button for some document. Hit it,
and a new little dialog comes up, where the first button lets you choose to
which printer to print. Double tap it and choose your, mac connected shared
printer on the phone. You will return to the print dialog in the phone,
where ok will send the document over wifi to your shared mac printer.

Not a revolution, but handy to know and have. I donated immediately after I
found the program to work so well. In our household, it is a much
appreciated little tool.

Hth,
Paul.