Christine, it's because the command to get into Mission control is control-down-arrow. All it takes is to hit the control key to shut up speech, then hit the down-arrow a little too soon and there you are. Mission control is supposed to be a place where you can look at all of the different applications you have opened. If you go into system preferences and find the keyboard section, then choose the keyboard shortcuts tab, you can get rid of this shortcut and this annoyance will go away. As I remember the dialog was a bit twiddly fiddly for me when I did this, but I was much more of a beginner than I am now, which is a slightly more advanced beginner. Hahahaha! But when I'm on my macbook soon, I'll take another look at that dialog in case you have more questions about making sure you get rid of the right shortcut. Also, I think control-left-arrow opens the dash board. Hope this helps as a start, at least.

Veronica

Watch and hear Veronica Elsea's Prayer for a Soldier at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFoIhWrBHFI
Then find more music from Veronica Elsea and The Guide Dog Glee Club at:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
                Veronica Elsea, Owner
Laurel Creek Music Designs
Santa Cruz, California