I'm running a MBP15 circa 2008, Mountain Lion and Skype.  I use an external mic
(a Sony ball and stick variety performance mic) connected to my line-in jack
via 3.5-mm (1/8-inch) stereo plug with no adapters.  Recently, Skype has
stopped transmitting my mic, although it will work fine using the internal
microphone.  Unfortunately, people report that the internal mic sounds very
distorted and bad for some reason, hence the external mic.

I have tested this mic on an amplifier, and it works just fine, so it appears
that my line-in jack has stopped working, which I've never heard of, especially
since this MBP sits on a shelf and never moves, so hasn't been damaged in any
way physically.

Is there something else I can to do test this line-in jack?  I'm wondering if
only Skype is having a problem, for some reason?  I have had appalling results
trying to get any recording software to work on the Mac, so while I have GB and
Audacity and even Reaper, I can't seem to make them DO anything.  Any ideas?

 • Mark BurningHawk Baxter
 • AIM, Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
 • MSN:  burninghawk1...@hotmail.com
 • My home page:
 • http://MarkBurningHawk.net/