I didn't experience the voice pitch thing, but the iCloud thing gave me the
same reply.  I remember last year when my phone was first activated, I had
to turn it off, and then turn back on.  This fixed the issue last year and
this year.

From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Cheree Heppe
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2012 12:43 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: I O S 6 update mostly glitch free, but ...

Cheree Heppe here:

This morning, September 22, I updated the I O S of my I-devices from 5.xxx
to I O S 6.  I used wifi.

At the end of the update process, the prompt instructed me to type in my
ICloud password.  When I attempted to do this, neither of the IOS devices'
screens would respond to taps to engage the shift or numbers/symbols levels.
This meant that I had to skip this process.

I phoned Apple.  Their service offers an automated, interactive tool which I
attempted to use.  Things went well until the auto-service wanted my serial
number.  It placed me in wait mode while I looked up my serial number.
Unfortunately, the wait mode employed music to keep the line active.  The
music masked out VoiceOver prompts.  The assumption in wait mode seemed to
exclude auditory feedback as a mode to acquire and transfer info.  The
designers didn't think that a VoiceOver user would have to hear spoken
prompts over the music.

A solution could involve a choice at the point where the wait screen came on
saying something like selecting whether to hear the music or a soft,
intermittent tone.  The tone would keep the line active and would not
significantly block VoiceOver feedback while a VoiceOver user searched the
device for data or info.

I asked for an agent and got a woman who could not get her head around the
Voice Over connection at first.  Apparently, apple is still training their
people to think in separate but equal mode, where VoiceOver becomes the
province of a specialized cadre who only deal with this ever so special
application.  Sounds a lot like JAWS and Freedom Scientific's way of
handling things, doesn't it?  I, for one, have walked in greener pastures
and don't want that non-productive, isolating thinking circulating in an
Apple mindset or tech environment.

I got escalated to what the woman called a senior person.  He didn't get
disability access well.  He kept saying that the odd, high-pitched tone the
VoiceOver voice now uses when the screen locks is so that blind people who
are totally blind can understand that the screen is locked.  When I cleared
it up by explaining that I am totally blind and don't need to have
incompetence flouted as accessibility in the name of me being blind, he then
said that the voice went into this high-pitched, exaggerated tonal mode for
the lock screen notification because some blind people put their screens on
vibrate and this signals them.  I said that when the screen is on vibrate,
the voice doesn't signal.

I think he wasn't as senior as he claimed.  But he did know enough to show
me how to check the Settings/ICloud area.  It seems that my problem is fixed
somehow re ICloud enrollment or upgrade, or whatever.

Have any others experienced this dramatically different lock screen tone
change when the screens of the I-devices lock?  I'm using the Karen voice, I
think that's her designation.

Regards,
Cheree Heppe