The only time I've ever seen this is when that is the correct situation and
there are really no windows open.  You can get this by pressing Command-W one
too many times; like close the message and then pressing it again while in the
message list. You can end up in "no man's land" so to speak.  I just close and
re-open mail if I accidentally do this and I'm put right back where I was in
the message list; I don't lose my place.  I would say there is no bug here.