Hi Mike,

As an addition to the helpful advice Chris gave, I suggest for viewing
man page descriptions of Terminal commands that you use the free app,
Bwana, available from Bruji.com:
http://www.bruji.com/bwana/
This lets you query the commands you want to check with your web
browser, and also view the man page description for these commands in
your browser.  There are other ways to make it simpler to view this
content, but I think this is the easiest, and provides good navigation
options.  Bwana checks out at the Roaring Apps web site as compatible
with Mac OS X versions up through Mountain Lion.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther