Hi,

As I mentioned in my first reply to this post, I, too believe that creating a
playlist or playlists to sync with the iPhone is the best solution.  Ray is
uncomfortable with the methods by which iTunes handles his media and moving
from no iTunes to incorporating iTunes Match seems like too big of a step to
me.  Unless you subscribe to iTunes Match, only items purchased through the
iTunes Store will appear as iCloud items and iTunes Match is only for music,
not other media.  When only syncing specific Playlists to the iPhone, these
playlists can be easily modified on your Mac then either synced while connected
or wirelessly depending on your settings.

Just as an aside to Ray, you may wish to consider looking at iTunes in a
different light.  Your dislike of the manner by which iTunes organizes your
music is, in my opinion, a background kind of thing.  Consider that how iTunes
does its organizing does not have to affect how you arrange things within the
top layer or User layer of iTunes.  You are totally able to create folders,
playlists and such within iTunes essentially organizing your Library how you
want.  What is done underneath is immaterial to how you interact with the media
content within iTunes itself.  There are also alternate views whereby the music
can be viewed by album, artist or just a massive list of your entire
collection.  Again, this is just my opinion of course, so take it as you wish.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada