Interesting. I hunted around a bit and found that these transcripts have
really specific formatting. Here is the spec for the NY state courts:
http://www.nycourts.gov/rules/chiefadmin/108.shtml#03
So it seems that each page must have 25 lines excluding the header with
10 characters per inch across 6 and 5/16ths of the page width. Pretty
specific stuff. I poked around in a number of forums on the line numbers
thing and apparently page just can't do it. There were lots of hackey
way where people inserted long skinny tables down the left margin or
making every line a member of a numbered list but that doesn't seem
scalable and apparently doesn't export back to Word correctly. I don't
use Nisus but supposedly it does handle this and you can download a free
15 day trial from their site:
http://www.nisus.com/pro/
CB
On 4/17/13 7:03 PM, Nicholas Parsons wrote:
AS far as I can work out they're not in the body of the text at all. The page
numbers are obviously generated by whatever word processor the court uses to
produce its transcripts. I'm not sure if they're in the footer or somewhere
else, but I guess probably the footer.
They seem to be created in such a way so the formatting and page numbering
remains the same regardless of where or how you open it. At least they stay the
same in Microsoft Word. I can't tell on the Mac as I don't know how to read the
page numbers. If you changed the formatting, text size or font style then
presumably the same text wouldn't be on the same page. But I have no need to
change any of the formatting and wouldn't do so for that reason. I just need to
be able to read the transcripts and refer to them by page and line number in
court.
There is an actual number written every five lines. I'm not sure where these
are written in Microsoft Word — they're not in the body of the text. Presumably
there is a line numbering feature, though I've never found one. On the PDF
versions the line numbers appear in the body of the text, though the formatting
often makes it difficult to pinpoint accurately which line the number is
referring to. However, with JAWS and Microsoft Word there is a simple keystroke
for JAWS which tells you exactly which line you're on. It's really helpful —
much better than me manually counting each line from the beginning of the page
as I did originally.
Anyway, even just determining the page number on the Mac would be great. I
could always count the lines manually — though it would be a pain.
Best,
Nic
--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"MacVisionaries" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.