Hi Paul
You may have already tried this, but have you gone into Finder to see if you
can find the file? The way I understand things, you don't have to know the date
it was put on there if it was on your computer say at the last update or maybe
you could check a specific date you know for sure it was on there. Just a
thought.

Regards,
Gigi

On May 3, 2013, at 7:02 AM, Paul Erkens <paul.erk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John Panarese,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I have that in my answers archive now. The problem I'm
> trying to solve though, is this. What if I have no idea about the date or
> time when a file was deleted. I just know that it has existed somewhere in
> time on my machine, and so it should now be present somewhere in my time
> capsule. Question is: how do I get to it? If the backups that time machine
> makes were not stored inside big backup archive files, but instead would have
> been stored as plain files and folders, then, what I would have done to find
> a file from the past, would be a simple filefind on the entire disk. But with
> time machine, this seems impossible. Do you happen to know a way to have time
> machine search all backups, i.e. all that it has, for my computer, and then
> find the file I lost?
>
> Kind regards,
> Paul.
> On May 2, 2013, at 7:24 PM, John Panarese <jpanar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>   After you open up Time Machine and hear that sonogram
>> sound, you need to use the Window Chooser menu to go to the Time Machine
>> Controls.  In there, there is a scroll area that you must interact with and
>> to use the Window Chooser menu to select the view of that date.  I have not
>> used this in conjunction with a search, but I am assuming it will work the
>> same way.
>>
>> Take Care
>>
>> John D. Panarese
>> Director
>> Mac for the Blind
>> Tel, (631) 724-4479
>> Email, j...@macfortheblind.com
>> Website, http://www.macfortheblind.com
>>
>> APPLE CERTIFIED SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL FOR MAC OSX Mountain Lion and LION
>>
>> AUTHORIZED APPLE STORE BUSINESS AFFILIATE
>>
>> MAC and iOS VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT
>>

>> On May 2, 2013, at 6:40 AM, Paul Erkens <paul.erk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> Given that I don't exactly know when my important file was deleted, I'm
>>> looking to find out how I can restore it from my time capsule. I googled it
>>> and I tried the following.
>>>
>>> 1. I remember that the file once was on my desktop, so I went there to
>>> begin with. Problem is though, that it could have been in many places,
>>> because it was a work in progress. So I went to the desktop for a start.
>>> 2. I then went into the extra menus, vo and then twice the letter m as in
>>> Mike. I went to time machine, and clicked on open time machine.