Perhaps there are things I don't know about the default manager then. Here's an
example: when it rains, our internet tends to go out a lot, and I was
downloading some large files yesterday. The download would either slow to a
crawl and then stop, or stop immediately, and in both cases there was a
"reload" button. That, however, only grabbed 16k of the file before stopping as
though the whole thing were complete. In Firefox, the manager is smart enough
to let you resume such a failed download, or restart it, or go to the website
from where you downloaded the file, but Safari seems unable to handle
interrupted or partial downloads at all.
On Aug 8, 2013, at 12:52 AM, Tim Kilburn <kilbur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if I'm just missing something, but I'm fairly sure that Safari has
> these features built right in as well.  When you begin downloading a file,
> press cmd-option-l to open the Downloads window.  When you Interact with the
> Table, you can then Interact with each download to determine its status.
> When within a given download, you can Stop/Pause it, Resume it once again
> etc.  Once a download has been Stop/Paused, you can clear it if you wish.
> You also can set how long items remain in the downloads manager from within
> the General pane of Safari Preferences.  They can stay there until you
> manually delete them, be removed when you Quit Safari or be removed upon
> successful download.  Safari used to automatically pop up the Downloads
> window when you started a download but stopped this behaviour in Lion, I
> believe.  Pressing cmd-option-l brings up the window anyway so it's no matter
> to me.
>
> If this isn't what you were looking for, sorry.
>
> Later...
>
> Tim Kilburn
> Fort McMurray, AB Canada
>
> On 2013-08-07, at 9:16 PM, Alex Hall <mehg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I like Safari overall, but I really miss Firefox's download manager. It lets
>> you pause downloads, retry them if the connection is lost, clear old
>> downloads, and more, and it's built right in. Is there a third-party
>> download manager for Safari that lets you do all that, specifically pause
>> downloads and retry them if necessary? I'm asking on here because, of
>> course, I need it to be very friendly with VO. Any ideas? Thanks.
>>

>> Have a great day,
>> Alex (msg sent from Mac Mini)
>> mehg...@gmail.com

Have a great day,