Hi Robin,
It is definitely possible to create your own and edit APA style documents in
Pages.  This was the style guide of choice when I completed my masters in
education last year and I did most of my own formatting.  I know that someone
on this list also has an APA template you can use as well.  The biggest thing
to learn about is using the inspector in pages to manage all of your
formatting, etc.  Use Command+Option+I to bring up the inspector and explore
all of the line spacing, paragraph style, and list settings under the text tab.
 Also, you can use command+T to pull up a font window that allows you to make
changes there as well.

Let us know if you have more specific questions.

-Greg

Greg Aikens, M. Ed.
Teacher of students who are blind and visually impaired
Cobb County School District
gpaik...@gmail.com