If the drive isn't going to be used to transport stuff from your Mac to a Windows box then you can use one of the native Mac disk formats, which is usually Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Assuming you'll run time machine and store the backups on this drive, I don't know if that works well with a FAT or ExFAT partition.

CB