Right. In preferences in iTunesin the toolbar select the Playback button. Stop interacting and the next item should be the Crossfade songs checkbox. With that turned on you can pick the time from 1 to 12 seconds. That said, if the current track has four seconds of silence at the end the crossfade isn't going to sound quite the way you would expect.

CB