Try VO utility, sound. There’s a set of options in there for VO output: system
default and whatever devices you have. I have a USB headset and built-in audio,
and when my Bluetooth device was connected, it showed that as well. Check your
settings as they are now. For example, you might not want your output to be
Bluetooth for vO, as you may not use that always. If you do use the speakers
constantly, you might want to set the vO output to use them by default.

Also, explore the sound settings in system preferences. You can choose the
output device for the sound effects in that tab. You will also find a checkbox
that says “play feedback when volume is changed”, which will give you the
little beep you’re after.

HtH,
Teresa

"We're made of star stuff."--Carl Sagan