Hi Scott,

Instead of going through the effort of checking and unchecking songs every time
you wish to listen to a different set of songs, I suggest that you leave the
checkboxes alone and create iTunes playlists.  You just go through the song
list, selecting songs you want to have in the playlist, then press cmd-shift-n
to create a new playlist from the selected items.  Remember to Interact with
the songs Table, press VO-cmd-return to select the items if they are
non-contiguous.  Creating playlists does not duplicate the songs, it simply
marks them as belonging to whatever playlist or playlists you desire.

HTH.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada