Hi,

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 08:46:23PM -0500, ext Russell Nelson wrote:
> Instead of tossing out opinions, let's look at some numbers.

> I have Debian 2.2 on a server and Familiar 6.2 on a handheld.  Since
> we're talking about using either dpkg or ipkg on a jffs2 filesystem,
> all space consumption is given as so:

>                 packages    size      bytes/package
> ipkg total                  378K
>      available    939       317K      388
>      installed    147        61K      415
> dpkg total                10620K
>      available  15272      8660K      567
>      installed    301      1860K     6180

You are comparing different things, pkg managment tool and the repostitory
used with its contained data.

The interesting data here is the bytes per package, and that will
increase with later Debian releases as they include tag information,
but nothing prevents the repos provided by maemo to be stripped down,
for example removing the long description and keeping the short one
(as Familiar is doing).

regards,
guillem