Ralph Giles wrote:
I believe they have a "free" signup where you can download a trial version of their compiler[2] for the DSP target. This would be the main advantage I'm aware of (assuming you meant DSP accelleration, not just ARM asm), since there's no working gcc port and otherwise one has to code everything in asm (and perhaps reverse engineer some of the environment, but see [3]).

As an alternative to free 120 day demo of CCS here (no login required)
http://focus.ti.com/dsp/docs/dspsupportaut.tsp?sectionId=3&tabId=416&familyId=44&toolTypeId=30
or directly  http://focus.ti.com/lit/sw/sprc192/sprc192.zip
you can also get Linux DSP Tools
https://www-a.ti.com/downloads/sds_support/targetcontent/LinuxDspTools/index.html
mentioned here
http://dspgateway.sourceforge.net/pub/index.php?Page=Links

As for the docs - DSP related ones are all inside the CCS demo download, as for those specific to ARM926EJ-S core they are on TI site - google for DVI0035B_926_PO.pdf and DDI0198D_926_TRM.pdf

Instruction set including EDSP extension is in DDI0100E_ARM_ARM.pdf - ARM Architecture Reference Manual.

The only missing piece in the Jazelle java extension which is unfortunately intentional.

Frantisek