Hi,

> So what am I missing? The most likely is that process overhead
> overshadows the memory saved by only running the GUI portions when
> needed. And the obvious complexity of the system. What else?

I think it might still make sense to make the long running process
as small memory-wise as possible.  Gtk UI has quite large memory
overhead and you cannot really get rid of it after you've instantiated
it without exiting the UI proccess.  Most of the UI memory usage is
really in the underlying libraries:
- X socket buffer
- Iconv stuff
- Fonts and Pango/Xft/fontconfig initialization
- Glib/Gtk class initializations
- Style objects and data
etc.

(And with the large number of objects that Gtk and underlying
stuff uses, memory fragmentation within process heap might
also become an issue if application has very dynamic memory
behaviour.)

        - Eero