Clemens Eisserer wrote:
 I   don't feel that comfortable with compiling my own kernel
with all the nokia patches for this exotic device ;)

It is not so hard. N770 specific kernel sources are here
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo1.1rc6/free/k/kernel-source-2.6.12.3/
original kernel config is here
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/KernelConfig

You just need to unpack/install it, copy kernel config to .config and do usual 'make oldconfig; make menuconfig; make'

Beware that you need 3.4 gcc compiler. I used gcc3.4.cs-glibc-0.9.8.5 from scratchbox
http://scratchbox.org/download/files/sbox-releases/0.9.8/tarball/
because I have scratchbox installed anyway and this compiler was probably used to compile the original kernel (see /proc/version on the device) But I did not compile it inside scratchbox arm or i386 target, just directly in i386 debian (in colinux on XP machine :) with
/scratchbox/compilers/arm-linux-gcc3.4.cs-glibc2.3/bin
prepended to PATH

Frantisek