ext Aaron Levinson wrote:
Right.  My reference to the "BT keyboard input method" was incorrect,
because this GTK input method does not exist.  It appears, from
information on the BT keyboard plugin homepage, that when the plugin is
used, GTK switches to the xim input plugin.  It is unclear what causes
this switch to occur because I could find no mention of "xim" in the
source code for the plugin, and a cursory examination of the GTK source
code didn't turn up anything.  Maybe there are issues with xim.

The input method is changed when you plug in the keyboard by the ke-recv daemon on the device.

Xim, which is just another gtk input method, is the culprit filtering out the multibyte characters. It seems to want to perform a conversion from some default charset to utf-8 and fails. I can confirm that if you use a less clever input method, or modify xim to just commit the keys directly, you do in fact get multibyte characters in stock GTK widgets. That means the problem is fixable, although not necessarily in a clean way by simply installing an application installer package such as the Bluetooth plugin.

Regards,
Tomas