Hi Tapani,

Tapani Pälli wrote:

It is possible to do rotations even hardware accelerated. However the
current UI does not scale to it well (as seen from screenshot) and
therefore it is not a supported feature. nchip is using software xrandr
but you still need to compile kernel since screen updates don't work
correctly otherwise ... however using software xrandr you will loose a
bit in performance (additional copy in memory) and quite much in memory
(~750kb).
interesting.
750kb does not seem a big problem especially if you don't plan to start other memory consuming apps.

The question is more about speed. What kind of slow down do you think one would experience ? If it's in the order of 20% or so then it's acceptable but if it's more twice than slow then I think hardware acceleration would
be definitively needed.

Apart from recompiling the kernel, how do you tell the X server start with eg a 90degrees rotation ? Is that a commandline / config file option or do you need to call some X11 function from an X client to rotate the screen ?

BTW, if people on the list do experiments on this area or have any
thoughts about resize/rotation, please share them at :
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/MaemoScalability (ScalabilityBrainStorming).
Nice, I will certainly share my findings on the mailing list / wiki if I manage to make it work.

Another thing I would like to do is having the Xserver on the 770
listening on port 6000 (the default x11 port) and use an xhosts
file to permit a linux PC to display the output of a X11 app on the
nokia. Is that possible or is the Xserver on the 770 not able to
support remote connections ?

X in 770 is built with '--disable-tcp-transport', so the answer is no.
Thanks.
The  question is if the X server can be rebuilt without
--disable-tcp-transport

if yes, what drawbacks /limitations it has, eg if disabling tcp-transport
was only used to save memory/cpu or because the Nokia hardware in general has some limitations which
makes it hard/impossible  to use X11 forwarding. (Which I hardly believe).

thanks again for all your infos,

cheers,
Benno

// Tapani