Hi,

please check your DISPLAY variable. The error message indicates that this could be the problem. I, for example, use 127.0.0.1:2 . I have a vague recollection that using IP address instead of "localhost" is requred for Xephyr et. al. to work properly.

But according to the log the d-bus daemon can not be started either
so the display variable can not really have effect here.

And also the whining is about loading the binaries.

I don't know, but my wild quess would be that
you have accidently asked scratchbox to use
qemu arm emulation for an x86 target?

And when you ask qemu to run an x86 binary on arm emulator..
Well you know.

Inside scratchbox please check the contents of /targest/[target-name].config In your case the target name seems to
be i386.

Around line 9 you should see something like:
SBOX_CPUTRANSPARENCY_METHOD=false

This means that the binaries are run natively on your host CPU.
But if this line states that SBOX_CPUTRANSPARENCY_METHOD should
be qemu-arm, you are in trouble :-)

I'm not sure, but the error log about failing to load binary
could sound like this kind of issue.

This is not an user-error, but usability problem in the
target configuration of the ancient scratchbox you are using. :-)

Br,
Sampo