> >If you build to a different prefix (/usr/local) and the apps install
> >their stuff in another prefix (the usual /etc), is it really a
> >surprise they are not found?
> >
> >In any case you need a predefined location for the .desktops (so that
> >app-devs will know where to put them), so what would be the benefit to
> >have it in gconf?
>
> Is that not the case that on debian based systems it is the communly
> used aproach that prefix defaults to /usr and sysconfdir defaults to
> /etc  right?

No it is not. Not on any debians I've tried at least. They do have
--prefix /usr and --sysconfdir /etc in their standard debian package
build rules of course, but that's hardly the same thing...

Besides, it depends on the system (autotools) the configure script has
been generated with, which is not neccessarily the same as the build
system ;)

--
Kalle Vahlman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]