Hello,

just to let you know that is is possible to reflash initfs partition directly from the device. N770 initfs specific script and binaries of flash_eraseall, nandwrite and mkfs.jffs2 from mtd-utils-1.0 and are here http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#initfs so you can recreate modified initfs directly from existing data on the device.

I reflashed it at least three times and it simply worked. Working steps are:
1. remount initfs read only just to be safe (to stop jffs2 garbage collecting kernel thread)
2. erase the flash (flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3)
3. flash jffs2 image (nandwrite -a -p /dev/mtd3 initfs.jffs2)
4. reboot (dsme daemon runs from mtd3 partition so it may crash if it tries to read something from mtd3 device - did not happen to me)

Happy bricking :)

Frantisek

P.S. You should still recover your device over USB with normal flasher if something goes wrong. Do not erase or write anything to mtd1 partition and do not use -f -j nandwrite options and you should be safe (I hope :-)