Ola,
[Obs: I think the correct list for this to go to would be maemo-community but since that is not an option on http://www.maemo.org/community/mailing-lists.html I am posting here] [Obs2: This is intended as constructive criticism. Any other inference was not my intent]

Creating a strong and vibrant community around the 770 would be good for everyone,right. Compared to some other 'corporate' efforts http://port25.technet.com/default.aspx (Anonymous comments have been disabled due to feedback from site visitors) ;), Nokia are doing OK . Compared to the community effort around Ubuntu , Nokia are doing really badly.

This is because at the start of its 'openness', Nokia lacked an understanding of OSS hackers. To a big business the bottom line is profit and control. If you have control of your products,teams and users you can invest in the latest technology and be relevant. Any kind of strategy is usually product and/or accounts orientated, which means input from development, financing and marketing departments. As such the frescuras (sorry , there is no English word for this), make up and feelings of a wide ranging group of OSS Hackers, came way down the list of priorities.

This needs to change. Some good things to think about, I think,  would be:

Moving away from the 'working on the product (which is hidden under a sheet in warehouse 2) which we roll out to the community on {insert_date}' for contributions type of OSS development that still happens at Nokia . Make us (the community) feel that suggestions/criticism's are listened to and *acted* on if necessary.
Where is the user submitted artwork,themes. I submit my artwork where?
The planet http://planet.maemo.org/ needs some love and attention to say the least
When doing anything concerning Nokia and Open Source ask ->
Why should the community get excited about this, write quality code for it , blog about it and work insanely long hours (for free) doing so
(these ideas are lifted directly from Ubuntu)
Create a Community Council which governs the evolution of the community
Create a Code of Conduct which covers the behaviour from community members in any kind of communication, electronic or in real life

HTH
[]'s
Ian

           .''`.
          : :'  :
          `. `'`
            `- Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS to set it on,
               and I can move the world
               http://manaus.metareciclagem.org