On 8/31/06, Riku Voipio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

More likely manufacturers feel that there is valuable IP in their blobs
and would prefer not to give it around to everyone for free, especially
in a highly competitive market like wlan chipsets are.

I suspect that that is the case with the video driver binary blob people. With wlan chipsets working to output a standard signal, it is likely less the case. My impression is that wlan chipsets are nearly commodities at this point. However, I don't work in the field so don't know for sure.

However, getting a straight answer as to the real reason out of a company's legal department after it has been filtered through their marketing and communications department is .... uummm ... challenging. :]
Sometimes even people internal to the company can't get anything sensible.