On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 21:00 +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 5. September 2006 10:48 schrieb Miko Nieminen:
> > If you upgrade system critical applications then you should disable
> > lifeguard before that. This can be done with command
> > "/path/to/flasher-2.0 --set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset". After this you
> > should run "apt-get upgrade" and reboot the device
>
> Miko,
>
> what is the price to pay, if I run always with no-lifeguard-reset?

If something goes wrong your device won't reboot automatically. I think
that you should use no-lifeguard-reset and R&D mode only if you are
doing some development work. In normal use you shouldn't use these
modes. If you use R&D mode all the time you'r device will go on easier
and I think that some of the power save features are not on (I'm not
sure about this).

There are also different policies about what should be done if processes
under lifeguard dies. Some times processes are restarted and sometimes
device should be rebooted. If you disable lifeguard reset it might be
that lifeguard doesn't work at all after. Or does that flag prevent only
rebooting the device? Could someone confirm this?

> If I only have to do a hard reset by taking off the battery from time to
> time,
> instead of having the comfort of an automatic reboot, that could be an
> interesting option....

I wouldn't do that kind of hard reset. It is possible that some
applications might end up into inconsistent state. Normal lifeguard
caused reboot is just ordinary soft reboot. I would use the device with
default settings when using it in everyday life.

Sincerely,
--
Miko Nieminen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>