On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 15:57 +0100, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Furthermore I guess we would not really need Jazelle to archieve good
> performance. As far as I know Sun will release its ARM  JIT also under
> GPL which should be enough to build a high-performance CDC JVM for the
> 770.

I'm an enthusiast of the Java language and was excited to read that Sun
started the phoneME community project [1] which centers around providing
the JavaME (Java Micro Edition) platform as source code compilable for
different target platforms (e.g. Linux/ARM). The 'phoneME advanced' [2]
subproject seems to be te candidate to be suited for the Nokia 770 as it
will provide the CDC [3] architecture. phoneME advanced has only one
realease yet (MR1) and starts developing on the next relase (MR2) in the
next month [5]. Documentation about how to build the Java runtime
environment and other needed parts (APIs from the different profiles) of
MR1 can be found under [6].

Maybe the Maemo SDK's ARM target in scratchbox could be used to build
'phoneME Advanced MR1 Software'. Unfortunately it seems to depend on an
available Java SE 1.4.2 on the build system to run some of the Java
Build Tools (see section 2.4.3 in [7]).

It would be nice if anybody could suggest how to proceed. After I
downloaded [8] into my scratchbox I was stuck.

Greets,
Jonek.

[1] https://phoneme.dev.java.net/
[2]