ext Andrew Flegg wrote:
On 11/30/06, Koen Kooi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Andrew Flegg schreef:

> How far off is Bora? If it's next week, there's little point in
> continuing to port existing applications; if it's 6 months, then I'll
> carry on :-)

You mean like the 'Roadmap' we both have been asking for in the past?

I didn't want to use the scary "R" word, since tko confirmed there is
no public roadmap to be announced. Asking, at least, when the next
Maemo release is going to be should be independent of that.

If Maemo is to be an open and community participated effort, rather
than just an open source Nokia SDK[1], the leaders of the project
(i.e. Nokia) need to start informing the community of their plans for
the platform.

Carlos' original email is a part of that, however there's no meat as
to what will change (apart from herring-type HAF-level changes), and
nothing at all yet as to *how* things are changing.

The documentation about what will change and how will come soon (matter of days),
you don't need to wait for Bora. Please be patient.

Cheers,

Andrew

[1] There's nothing wrong with an open source Nokia SDK - it's just not
   what Maemo is pitched as.

Maemo was started as an application development platform, with SDKs released for specific products. Many people who got excited about Maemo have wanted to see it as an openly developed platform and so have many people inside Nokia. This has
influenced the Maemo message or at least colored how it is perceived.
Officially Maemo is still that, an application development platform with SDKs, but we are experimenting with community development and eventually Maemo might develop
into a community effort.
I hope people will understand the difficulty of doing this, unfortunately it can't happen overnight.