"ext Santtu Lakkala" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Whatever you do, you shouldn't use only the Conflicts field, but instead
> some kind of combination of Conflicts, Replaces and Provides.

That way lays madness. :) You shouldn't turn a real package into a
virtual package willy-nilly.  For example, Provides can't talk about
versions.  I think it is not really possible to have one package
masquerade as another package cleanly.

If the two packages cooperate, they can cleanly provide a common
virtual package and conflict on each other if necessary or use
update-alternatives, etc.