Manuel Roman wrote:
> I just wrote a very simple application that uses gconf notifications.
> Unfortunately, the callback is never called.  I have used gconf from a
> graphical hildon app and notifications worked fine, however, when I try
> from
> a console application it does not seem to work. I include the two simple
> files I wrote: gconf_test, which registers the callback and gconf_test_set,
> which sets a value. If you can pinpoint the problem I would really
> appreciate it. Although there is no error checking for gconf_init, I tested
> it and always returned TRUE.

GConf needs GMainLoop to be running to work. In normal hildon
applications Gtk+ takes care of this, as gtk_main() runs a GMainLoop.
You can alter your main() to use GMainLoop:

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  GMainLoop *loop;
  g_type_init();
  config_init();

  loop = g_main_loop_new(NULL, FALSE);

  g_main_loop_run(loop);

  return 0;
}

Do note, that unlike with Gtk+'s gtk_main_quit(), with GMainLoops, you
need to pass the loop "object" to g_main_loop_quit, so you'll need to
store the loop pointer and pass it everywhere it is needed. Also note
that gconf_init() is deprecated and needs not be called.

--
Santtu Lakkala