[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The 770 with OS2006 is still supported by Nokia.

So we actually may see maintenance firmware updates (i.e. fixed bugs)
for OS2006? Or even something targeted for better compatibility with OS2007?

Perhaps some kind of OS2006/OS2007 combination will turn out to be practical
for hacking on the 770, though again, an end-user ready release is not in the
cards.
Herring and Sardine (Herring is synced with OS2007/Maemo Bora) already give you
Bora (and post-Bora) in the limited context of the HAF.

Yes, but the question is not only about hacking, it is about end users.
Can end users somehow get such system (not called 2007) so developers
can ship one application (with Bora functionality) that work both on
such N770 and N880?

Let's see how much we can improve on that.

Is this suggestion to make community releases (i.e. patched firmwares or
set of debs with some install script) for N770 device based on Bora?

I guess platform fragmentation is bad thing for everyone (users,
developers, Nokia) so that would actually make some sense.

BTW I was a bit surprised how unmercifully Dr. Ari Jaaksi killed n770's future. It was pretty tough :-) Also it doesn't send good message to users and developers considering the platform. Well, life is hard. Time will tell if it was good move.

Frantisek