> Well, obviously there will be 500 such developers now :)  I just think
> it should have been 1500 happy users with $100 discounts instead of
> 500 happy developers with $300 discounts.

Those 500 developers are going to create applications which may not
work on the devices of every non-developer owner of a n770, and the
only reason for that is that Nokia won't open the platform so that any
developer with a n770 can update the OS platform for those users.

I take issue with this statement.  If I get an n800, whether through
the dev program or no, all my apps are going to run on both platforms
as long as it's feasible for them to do so.  Even if somebody handed
me an n800 today, it wouldn't change the fact that the 770 is an
extremely useful device; I wouldn't just throw it into the closet to
collect dust.

It will probably actually motivate more development, in my case,
because I'll be interested to see how I can utilize the new hardware
and features like Xv, and then in turn I'll be interested to see how
*those* improvements can be shoehorned onto the 770, which will give
me ideas for new improvements targeted at the n800, ad infinitum (or
nauseum, your choice).

--
Just stop and take your secret journey, you will be a new box. --Leeta
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html