On 1/19/07, Mike Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There seem to be numerous applications for maemo and I can't figure out
how/where to easily load them. I'm not too familiar with maemo
repositories/syntax or debian commands (used mostly rpm from redhat).

All that is present after flashing is xterm, gnu helloworld and some other app
which escapes me at the moment.

1. Shouldn't Application Manager allow me to download original applications
that came with device? (opera, etc.). How do I go about at least adding Opera
and GoogleTalk application. Do I need to build these in sdk and deploy to
device or can I do direct download? What are targets I need to specify or url
of docs for this?

Opera and GoogleTalk are included in the firmware that you flash. They
do not have to be installed separately and the Application Manager
gives no option to remove them. To see more applications to install,
you need to add more Application Catalogues. Search through maemo.org
for some examples.

Some places to start:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog2006
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/OS2007_Tested_Applications

2. If there are no applications (to speak of) after flashing...why is there
"Messenger" icon on desktop with many menuitems and no apps hooked up to
it...is this part of core ui hildon framework?

Some apps are included in the core firmware that you flash.

3. Is the ApplicationManager just gui around apt-get?

Pretty much. It simplifies things and hides all the useful (but scary)
error output.

4. Why is there no mention of root password for n800. I couldn't use apt-get due to not
being root and got warning message about same. Is the intent that developers only be
"root" on sdk machine where they build apps for deploy to device? And that on
device you should just use Application Manager?

I think Nokia dev docs are missing section after flashing on "root/user"
accounts and passwords. I found in older maemo2 docs the concept of these 2 user accounts.

The root account is not accessed in the traditional way. Installing
the "becomeroot" package and then typing 'sudo gainroot' in the xterm
will get you there though.

There is a way by using the flasher to enable R&D mode and then
manually enabling the root account but the gainroot package is way
easier ... provided it works on the n800.

5. Upon visiting Maemo garage repository and wanting to download some
apps...they all seem to have different install instructions and in some case no
instructions...downloading binary directly to browser.

Is the scheme as follows? If they state is available as DEB package then just
use ApplicationManager to install from file after downloading to
device....otherwise if they give repository fields then fill in using
ApplicationManager?

Downloading and Opening the deb file usually works provided there are
no uninstalled debs that it depends on. Installing from an Application
Catalogue will resolve all those dependencies for you. If I understand
correctly, there is another format that is a hybrid of the two. The
.install format will set up the proper Catalogue for you and install
the app and its dependencies. If the .install is available for "bora",
use that one. Some catalogues to try are here:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationRepositories

Enjoy your new gadget.

/Mike