On 1/30/07, Ross Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 17:48 -0900, John P. Mitchell wrote:
>     I want to write an address book that intergrates with the built in
> contacts data store. Which libraries are required for accessing that data
> store and are there bindings for them in the Python 2.5 release?
>      Has anyone tried using swig[1] to build a wrapper for binding Maemo C
> libraries to Python?

To access the address book data you libebook, there is a tutorial on
maemo.org:

http://maemo.org/platform/docs/howtos/howto_using_abook_bora.html

However there are no Python wrappers.  The API is fairly standard
GObject style so you should have some success in using the existing
pygtk framework to wrap it.  The parsing tools are quite pedantic so
I'll happily modify any headers in the EDS svn repository to make it
build, as I'd love to see Python wrappers myself.

You may find http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-wrap/
useful, it's a tutorial I wrote some time ago (but still mostly
relevant, not a lot has changed) that documents the basics in wrapping
GObjects for Python.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                          jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You could take a look in PythonHildon[1] too. We use codegen, provided
by pygtk, to produce bindings. First of all run h2def to produce the
"def" files that will be used by gen-enum-c and gen-enum-h. Codegen
will work over code generated by these utilities. The utilities are
called by setup.py.
Most part of time swig application is used to produce C++ wrappers and
here we use C. This is the reason to adopt codegen.

Regards,
Luciano
-INdT-

[1]