Hi, I've been playing around Fanoush's idea and MUST say it is a pretty cool
solution. Things are improving a lot. Before giving definitive results I
want to play with all weekend, but I can just say that performance speed has
increased substantially. I would say that it's almost doubled (seriously).
I'd suggest that the effect is similar to that one can experience when
adding a lot of extra RAM to a Desktop PC (running Windows).

The idea is basically to create first a dual boot system, then copy an image
of the whole system to the memory card, and finally dual boot to the memory
card or internal flash. It is supposed to preserve the internal flash system
intact (as a backup), and usually boot from the mmc in order to have 1GB or
more to install as many applications as you like. I've personally got 700MB
of free memory space to install my favourites applications that are: ALL OF
THEM!!. Principally I needed to install Octave that consumed a lot of space.

My first conclusion of this solution is that:
1. It's easy to implement (when you know exactly what to do, of course;
after all your help in this matter, I'll prepare a blog to explain it to
the last detail, so that people don't need to browse multiple sites to find
out)
2. ACCELERATION. It's incredible how clean and fast are my browser and other
typically slow applications. I don't want to look naive in this question.
But it might be interesting to do a test of speed before and after. I'm not
in the mood to do it, because I just don't want to pass the whole process
again.
3. Free memory. Now I can install as many applications I like. Before this
solution, I typically had to uninstall the less used apps in order to
install new or more necessary apps. I needed octave for my job, and that
limited me a lot.

I think that good and clear advice on this subject is COMPULSORY for Sputnik
users. I think that (almost) all of them are interested in gaining more
memory space for installation, and improve the speed of their devices. And
this could be THE solution.

I'll write again in three days or so to give a definite opinion.

Salut.
Sebas.

Thanks again to all of you, and specially to Frantisek.

2007/2/2, Neil MacLeod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
> insmod unionfs.ko
> mount -t unionfs -o dirs=/media/mmc1/usr=rw:/usr=ro unionfs /usr
>
> to startup scripts (early enough) before anything opens a file for
writing under
> /usr.
>
> See here:
>
> http://www.linux-live.org/unionfs/

Would unionfs allow a single file to span two directories/partitions?