On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Johan Bilien wrote:

> Aaron Levinson wrote:
>
> >It's great to see a new 2.x SDK release that runs on the same version of
> >scratchbox as the 3.0 SDK, but my main concern is will packages created
> >with the new SDK work on maemo 2.0 and 2.1 platforms?  When the
> >2.1/scirocco SDK was released, because of auto-generated dependency issues
> >in the package, packages created with the 2.1 SDK would not generally work
> >on 2.0 platforms.  As such, it has been best to continue to use the 2.0
> >SDK to build packages that will work on both 2.0 and 2.1 maemo platforms.
> >
> >Now, we have a new 2.2 SDK, and I suspect that we will run into the same
> >dependency issues.  Are developers going to be continued to forced to use
> >the 2.0 SDK in order to build packages that support all 2.x platforms (and
> >as a result, continue to maintain the older scratchbox installation)?
> >Perhaps there can be some way to configure the 2.2 SDK such that it will
> >generate package dependencies for older 2.x releases.
>
> This is far from ideal, but you can always circumvent the automatic
> dependencies and put the dependencies manually. Automatic dependencies
> come from the ${shlibs:Depends} pseudo-dependency in the debian/control
> file, which is replaced by all the packages containing the libraries the
> program is linked against. You can remove this field add the
> dependencies on library manually,  with versions  available in  maemo 2.0.

Yep, I'm aware of this option, but I'd rather keep 2.0 on my system and
have two scratchbox installations than implement this kludge.  I would
have to maintain separate control files if I went with this option, one
for 2.x and one for 3.0.

Seriously, it would be more useful to provide a 2.0-compatible SDK that
runs on the latest Scratchbox than providing a 2.2 SDK.

Aaron