On Tuesday, February 06, 2007, at 08:05PM, "Piotr Pokora" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>>>This is contrary to my experience.  I was able to install xephyr on
>>>debian/sid with zero problems ( apt-get install xserver-xephyr ).
>>
>> Considering I'm not running the unstable sid release I'd expect this to be
>> the case. It would appear that trying to install Xephyr on stable results
>> in a load of packages being required to upgrade to sid.
>
>I do not think stable debian is the best choice for development box.

Do you have an alternative suggestion? I initially tried Ubuntu but
installation of Xephyr seems to have cost me the ability to log in. At least I
had a working installation until that point.

>I have no idea what scratchbox version you had installed but 0.9 was
>indeed much more than "a bit" painfull on unstable debian.

I'm using stable Debian not unstable. Does that make a difference to the level
of pain?

>Personally, I removed 0.9 and installed packages from
>http://scratchbox.org/debian/

OK, I did that and followed the instructions on how to get up and running here:

http://scratchbox.org/documentation/user/scratchbox-1.0/html/installdoc.html

And failed to compile the hello_world app because of a lack of a working c
compiler, with the message "perhaps I should be using --host?". Err, where?

>Easy, smooth, fast and out of the box.

If only that were the case. I've invested somewhere in the region of 15 hours
time trying to get a working build environment, every one of the tutorials I've
tried has failed for one reason or another and none of them seem to be a good
match between what the tutorial suggests should happen and the tools actually
present when you use them.

The barrier to entry to developers seems to me to be very high.

Andy